4 men slapped with murder charge

first_imgCorentyne carpenter’s murder− women remanded for offering bribe to PoliceFour men were on Tuesday slapped with a murder charge for allegedly beating a Berbice carpenter to death. They all appeared before the Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.In a packed court room, excavator operator Radesh Motie, 39; Harripaul Parsram, a labourer, 49; hire car driver Nirone Yacoob, 37; and Diodat Datt, 18, were all not allowed to enter a plea for the murder of 27-year-old Faiyaz Narinedatt since the matter is deemed indictable. The charge stated that the murder occurred between October 31 and November 1, 2016, at Number 70 Village, Corentyne. The men were represented by Attorney Mark Conway.Police Prosecutor Neville Jeffers stated that his file is still incomplete, and as such, he requested two weeks to have it completed. He noted that the investigation is still ongoing.The matter was transferred to the Springlands Magistrate’s Court where the defendants are scheduled to make their next court appearance on December 8.Meanwhile, the two women, who allegedly attempted to pervert the course of justice by way of bribing a Police Officer at the Major Crimes Unit (MCU) with $4 million to free the four defendants, were remanded as well.Shermella Indarally, 45, of Lot 121 Section A, Number 71 Village, Corentyne Coast, Berbice; and Marriam Lionel, 25, of Corentyne Coast, Berbice, a bank teller, were refused bail after Police Prosecutor Jeffers objected, stating that they could tamper with witnesses should they be granted their pre-trial liberty. The defendants pleaded not guilty to the charge, which stated that on November 19, 2016, at Eve Leary Headquarters, Georgetown, they offered a criminal investigative rank $4 million cash to forgo charges against the four murder accused who were at the time in custody pending investigations into the murder of Narinedatt, as well as Marc Bisram who is still on the run.Jeffers stated that his file is complete in the women’s matter and the prosecution has been successful in securing six witnesses.The women were represented by Attorney Stanley Moore who made an application for bail on behalf of his clients, stating that they both have a fixed place of residence.His applications were denied and the women were ordered to return to court on September 28.According to reports, another man on Monday was taken into Police custody in connection with the murder. The man detained, called “Rasta Man”, is said to be a bodyguard of the alleged mastermind behind the murder.The body of Narinedatt was discovered at about 03:45h on November 1, along the Corentyne Highway at Number 70 Village at a scene which appeared to be that of a hit-and-run accident. Police had initially treated the incident as a hit-and-run but reopened the investigations after relatives of the dead man kept calling for the Police to further investigate circumstances surrounding the man’s death. Relatives in a bid to get the Police’s attention produced and distributed flyers which detailed the events leading up to Narinedatt’s death, and the subsequent staging of the accident scene.last_img