NegOcc rolls out 90-day ban of pork from Luzon

first_imgProvincial Veterinarian Renante Decenasaid on Thursday the ban took effect immediately after Governor Eugenio JoseLacson approved Resolution No. 19-05, which was passed by the Provincial AfricanSwine Fever (ASF) Task Force on Wednesday.    The body initially recommended thetemporary ban as stated in Resolution No. 19-04, covering pork and porkproducts originating from, processed, or manufactured in Luzon, which confirmedcases of the deadly pig disease. Figures from the Provincial VeterinaryOffice showed that Negros Occidental’s current annual swine production for bothbackyard and commercial is 510,000 heads. On Monday, the Department of Agricultureofficially confirmed that ASF was the cause of swine deaths in Rizal andBulacan last month. The following day, Lacson appealed totravelers not to bring pork to Negros Occidental in the wake of the confirmedcases of ASF in Luzon. Lacson, in Executive Order 2019-23,directed the ASF task force to carry out the proper implementation of the ASFprevention and control measures, enhance biosecurity practices in all ports ofentry and swine production facilities, and coordinate and cooperate with theappropriate national government agencies in case of a suspected outbreak.(With areport from PNA/PN) “Pork and pork products from theseprovinces, whether fresh, processed or canned may carry directly ASF viruses,which would introduce the disease into Negros Occidental,” the task force said. In enforcing the prohibition, the taskforce underscored the “pressing need to protect the swine population of theprovince from being infected with the dreaded ASF disease in particular, andthe P6-billion provincial swine industry in general.”  BACOLOD City – As the number one backyard swine producer in the Philippines,Negros Occidental has banned for 90 days the entry of live hogs and porkproducts from Luzon.   In 2018, the province’s total porkconsumption was pegged at 37,000 metric tons (MT). With an annual production of54,000 MTs, Negros Occidental has pork surplus of about 16,000 MTs. “The governor will issue a memorandumaddressed to me and to all municipal and city mayors for the implementation ofthe task force Resolution No. 5,” Decena said.last_img