Editor released but cable TV operator closed in Jalalabad

first_img Situation getting more critical for Afghan women journalists, report says AfghanistanAsia – Pacific June 2, 2021 Find out more May 3, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Afghanistan Afghanistan : “No just and lasting peace in Afghanistan without guarantees for press freedom” Abdul Ghafur Aiteqad, publisher of the privately-owned weekly Farda (Tomorrow), was freed on 23 December after President Karzai returned to Kabul. He had been held for four days in a small cell with eight common law prisoners. The shutdown by security police in Jalalabad of that city’s only cable TV operator, on the orders of the conservative Supreme Court, has been confirmed.___________________________________________________________20.12.02Reporters Without Borders (Reporters Sans Frontières) expressed its grave concern today about this week’s ban by the Afghan Supreme Court on foreign TV broadcasts by the city of Jalalabad’s only cable company and the arrest of an editor who published a cartoon of President Hamid Karzai.”Simply saying one supports press freedom does not guarantee it,” said Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Robert Ménard in a letter to information and culture minister Sayeed Makhdom Raheen. “We ask you to see that the editor is released and that the cable TV company can operate freely. We do not understand how a cartoon of the president and the showing foreign films undermine national security.”The Supreme Court, which is controlled by conservatives close to the fundamentalist Jamat-e-Islami party, ordered the authorities in the eastern city of Jalalabad on 18 December to stop the local Afghan Cable TV company from relaying foreign stations, especially Indian ones, which it said broadcast programmes that were “contrary to Afghan customs.” Provincial officials, notably police chief Ajab Shah, has reportedly since closed down the cable operation.Anonymous leaflets have circulated in the city in recent weeks calling for the company’s shutdown. Its director, Muhammad Humayan, told a Reporters Without Borders representative in October that the firm had already connected 600 households in the city after getting permission to operate. But he said he exercised self-censorship by not relaying stations with vulgar or obscene material. RSF_en March 11, 2021 Find out more Abdul Ghafur Aiteqad, editor of the privately-owned weekly Farda (Tomorrow), was arrested on 19 December at his office in Kabul after publishing a cartoon on 15 December showing President Karzai playing a harmonium and singing “Reconstruction! Reconstruction!” before a group of Westerners who were dancing and brandishing dollar bills. The UN representative in Afghanistan, Lakhdar Brahimi, was shown at the microphone saying: “Soon we’ll have another World Bank money-borrowing ceremony-but with interest to pay.” The editor’s arrest was reportedly ordered by defence minister Marshal Mohamed Fahim.Farda is one of 130 privately-owned publications that have sprung up in Kabul since the Taliban regime collapsed. Reporters Without Borders issued a report in October called “Press freedom a year after the fall of the Taliban.” to go further Organisation News News News Receive email alerts AfghanistanAsia – Pacific Help by sharing this information December 20, 2002 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Editor released but cable TV operator closed in Jalalabad News RSF asks International Criminal Court to investigate murders of journalists in Afghanistanlast_img read more

Read More →

Press release: Unlocking of government’s mapping and location data to boost economy by £130m a year

first_imgAs part of the Prime Minister’s London Tech Week roundtable today, the government has announced that key parts of the OS MasterMap will be made openly available for the public and businesses to use.It is estimated that this will boost the UK economy by at least £130m each year, as innovative companies and startups use the data.The release of OS MasterMap data is one of the first projects to be delivered by the new Geospatial Commission, in conjunction with Ordnance Survey. The aim is to continue to drive forward the UK as a world leader in location data, helping to grow the UK’s digital economy by an estimated £11bn each year.This is a step on a journey towards more open geospatial data infrastructure for the UK.Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster and Minister for the Cabinet Office, David Lidington, said Opening up OS MasterMap underlines this Government’s commitment to ensuring the UK continues to lead the way in digital innovation. Releasing this valuable government data for free will help stimulate innovation in the economy, generate jobs and improve public services. Location-aware technologies – using geospatial data – are revolutionising our economy. From navigating public transport to tracking supply chains and planning efficient delivery routes, these digital services are built on location data that has become part of everyday life and business. The newly available data should be particularly useful to small firms and entrepreneurs to realise their ideas and compete with larger organisations, encouraging greater competition and innovation. Ordnance Survey holds the most accurate and comprehensive set of location data for Great Britain, making public sector services work more efficiently and helping to build innovative businesses across every sector of the economy. Since its launch in 2001, OS MasterMap has been one of the most comprehensive and detailed geospatial reference datasets in the world. This latest development is another step on Ordnance Survey’s open data journey. We’re looking forward to supporting the Geospatial Commission in making this data more accessible and more widely used. Read more information on the announcement here. OS MasterMap data already supports emerging technologies such as driverless vehicles, 5G and connected cities – important drivers of economic growth.Today’s announcement follows the launch of the first GovTech challenge in May this year – a competition designed to incentivise Britain’s tech firms to come up with innovative solutions to improve public services. These competitions will be delivered using the £20m GovTech fund launched by the Prime Minister in November 2017.Neil Ackroyd, Interim CEO of Ordnance Survey said:last_img read more

Read More →

KCB beat Coast Stima, closer to promotion

first_img0Shares0000KCB players line up before their National Super League match against Green Commandos at the Camp Toyoyo Ground on September 28, 2018. PHOTO/Timothy Olobulu.NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 3 – KCB FC moved a step closer to gaining promotion back to the Kenyan Premier League (KPL) after beating Coast Stima 2-0 at the Mbaraki Complex in Mombasa on Wednesday.The result that saw them move five points clear of third placed Nairobi Stima who played to a 1-1 draw with Western Stima in Naivasha. While already promoted Western Stima have just one match remaining in the National Super League (NSL) both Nairobi Stima and KCB have two more to go. KCB will assure themselves of promotion if they beat FC Talanta on Sunday at Camp Toyoyo.“This was the most important win for us and at least now we see the finish line in sight. It was a very tough game but I am happy we won. The boys have not taken their eye off the prize and this is the same mentality we want to take to the two remaining games,” head coach Elvis Ayanya told Capital Sport.He added; “We want to finish the job this Sunday when we play Talanta and the players don’t want to take it to the final day of the season. We want to go in to that game without pressure.”KCB FC players celebrate Kennedy Owino’s second goal against Green Commandos during their National Super League match at the Camp Toyoyo Ground on September 28, 2018. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluCoincidentally, KCB face Nairobi Stima in their final match of the season on November 13 and a failure to beat Talanta this Sunday will mean they play a mouth-watering Cup final against Stima.The bankers ensured three points against Coast Stima with the impressive Dennis Ng’ang’a breaking the deadlock early with a well taken freekick while the returning Chrispinus Onyango who had gone for a short stint in the USA made it 2-0 with a simple finish one on one with the keeper.Stima fought back for a draw against their ‘big brothers’ Western Stima in Naivasha with Ghanaian import Stephen Owusu stretching his lead at the top of the golden boot chase with an equalizer.“It was a tough game with some bit of luck we should have won. It is now tougher for us and the reality now is that we have to fight to get that play-off slot. We have two games remaining and we should work to win to keep hope alive,” assistant coach Fred Ambani said.Ushuru FC players hurdle together before their National Super League match against St. Joseph Youth at the Camp Toyoyo Ground on September 28, 2018. PHOTO/Timothy Olobulu.Nairobi Stima face Kenya Police this weekend before finishing the season against KCB. They now look likely to fight it off for the promotion slot with Ushuru who made a late case for themselves with a commanding 4-0 thrashing of GFE 105.Ushuru’s huge win against All Stars took them to 65 points, two away from Nairobi Stima. If Stima falter and Ushuru win this weekend, then Ken Kenyatta will be in pole position to guide his team for a second consecutive play-off against the 16th placed team from the KPL.Ushuru picked the win with Max Ravel scoring twice while Bill Oporia added the other before Edwin Mwaura crowned off the win. They will face Nakuru All Stars in Nakuru on Sunday before concluding their season away to Bidco United.0Shares0000(Visited 7 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Read More →

CHILD ABUSE SCANDAL: CALLS FOR EXTERNAL INVESTIGATION INTO GAOTH DOBHAIR CHILD ABUSE SCANDAL

first_imgFianna Fáil Justice Spokesperson Dara Calleary has called for an urgent external investigation into child sexual abuse allegations in Gaoth Dobhair and an immediate inquiry into how concerns raised by the Gardaí about school caretaker Michael Ferry were handled by the Northwestern Health Board at the time.Deputy Calleary said: “We need to know exactly what happened to allow a man convicted of sexual assault to continue to work in such close proximity to vulnerable children.“There is a sickening sense that we have not heard the end of this appalling story and that there may be other victims whose cases have not yet been fully investigated. “Every facet of this story must be thoroughly investigated as a matter of urgency.“I am calling on the Minister for Justice and the Garda Commissioner to appoint a Garda team from outside Co Donegal to carry out a full and swift investigation into all allegations of child abuse and sexual assault in the Gweedore area.“I am also calling for a full inquiry into how the then Northwestern Health Board handled Garda concerns relating to Michael Ferry in order to determine if appropriate action was taken.  People are finding it difficult to comprehend how this situation could have continued if every relevant body was informed and acted as they should, especially given the improved child protection protocols that were and are now in place.“This is an extremely distressing situation for families in the Gweedore area and indeed families throughout the country who use the Gweedore gaeltacht.  They deserve full openness and honesty. They cannot be expected to wait for answers and assurances about the safety of their children. The Minister, the Garda Commissioner and the HSE must act with urgency in this matter.” CHILD ABUSE SCANDAL: CALLS FOR EXTERNAL INVESTIGATION INTO GAOTH DOBHAIR CHILD ABUSE SCANDAL was last modified: July 20th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read More →