Start-ups, NGOs team up to help people affected by COVID-19

first_imgStart-ups, a crowdfunding platform and non-government organizations (NGOs) have established a charity program to help those who have lost their livelihoods as a result of the partial COVID-19 lockdown.The start-ups, including ride-hailing service provider Grab Indonesia, e-commerce platform Tokopedia and e-wallet service OVO have agreed to open donation channels on their respective platforms from April 17 to May 20 to help the people affected by COVID-19. The money will be given to Indonesia-based crowdfunding platform BenihBaik.BenihBaik and NGOs Gusdurian Network and Pemuda Muhammadiyah – the youth wing of Muhammadiyah – will collect recipient data, buy staple foods such as rice, oil and sugar and distribute them through Grab’s motorcycle taxis. “Our final target is to deliver staple food packages to 100,000 people, especially those who work in informal sectors,” said OVO President Director Karaniya Dharmasaputra during a press conference on Friday.He said that in the first phase, the charity program aimed to reach 15,000 people in Greater Jakarta as it was the epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic.BenihBaik founder and senior journalist Andy F. Noya said that the crowdfunding platform team had data for at least 60,000 aid recipients including those in orphanages and nursing homes. The team is planning to collect similar data in Central and East Java soon.“We are an ecosystem that works together comprehensively, so the aid can be delivered accordingly,” he said.Gusdurian Network coordinator Alissa Wahid said the group sought to help informal workers such as street vendors and performers because they were vulnerable to falling into poverty as they relied on unpredictable daily incomes to survive.As people are pushed to stay indoors during the pandemic, informal workers have lost more than 70 percent of their daily incomes, she said.Grab Indonesia Managing Director Neneng Goenadi said the aid packages would be delivered with a “less-contact” approach following the government’s call for social distancing.Topics :last_img read more

Read More →

Cahill to increase competition for places ahead of Clare clash

first_imgTipperary Minor hurling manager Liam Cahill is hoping to increase competition for places in his team ahead of their Munster semi-final clash with Clare on July 1st.The Premier County overcame Waterford in last night’s quarter-final at Semple Stadium by the narrowest of margins after Tipp came out 1-14 to 0-16 point winners.Cahill says he was pleased with his side’s determination to secure a win on their home patch and is hoping to add to his squad ahead of the Clare game.last_img

Read More →

Man City Makes Mendy the Most Expensive Defender with £52m Deal

first_imgTRANSFER NEWS…Benjamin Mendy has completed his £52m transfer from Monaco to Manchester City to become the world’s most expensive defender.The 23-year-old France left-back has signed a five-year deal with the club. Mendy is City’s fifth major signing of the summer and takes their spending to more than £200m.“He is undoubtedly one of the world’s best full-backs, our number one target in this position,” said director of football Txiki Begiristain.Mendy played 34 times for Monaco last season and helped them to their first Ligue 1 title in 17 years after joining them from Marseille last summer.He is the Premier League club’s fifth major signing of the summer following the recruitment of England right-back Kyle Walker for £45m, plus a potential £5m of add-ons, Portugal midfielder Bernardo Silva (£43m), Brazilian keeper Ederson Moraes (£35m) and defender Danilo from Real Madrid (£26.5m).They have sold left-back Aleksandar Kolarov, 31, to Roma for £4.5m.The arrival of Mendy leaves Manchester City with the most expensive defensive line-up in world football.When Ederson moved to the club from Benfica earlier this summer, his move was a world record for a keeper in sterling, although not in euros.Mendy and Walker have been added to a backline which also includes centre-back John Stones, who was bought for £47.5m from Everton last summer,with the trio making up three of the world’s five most expensive defenders.Central defenders Nicolas Otamendi and Eliaquim Mangala, who spent last season on loan at Valencia, also joined City for fees believed to be in the region of £32m.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Read More →