Pedal cyclist struck by intoxicated GDF rank succumbs

first_imgFifty-seven-year-old pedal cyclist Ramlackhan, who was struck down by an intoxicated corporal attached to the Guyana Defence Force (GDF), succumbed to his injuries on Wednesday last at the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC).His death occurred less than two weeks after he underwent emergency surgery while in an unconscious state at that hospital.Meanwhile, the military rank is yet to be charged since the file that had been sent to the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) to have a driving under the influence charge laid has not been returned to the police to date.Commander of C Division, Calvin Brutus had recently explained to this publication that since Ramlackhan had been involved in the accident, he never regained consciousness.Therefore, while he was in an unconscious state, the only charge that could be laid against the army corporal was that of DUI.“Dangerous driving is subject to the individual. So, we have already started the preliminary work in relation to the advice for the Driving Under the Influence (DUI). But not the accident in general…given the present state of the victim.”However, according to the police on Friday, now that Ramlackhan has succumbed to his injuries, investigations into the situation will take a different route since the military official can be charged with causing death by dangerous driving.“The army rank is presently on station bail but has to return to the police station on Monday [June 24, 2019]. The file for the DUI is yet to be returned to us [police] for further action. In relation to the pedal cyclist losing his life, further investigation has to be done since the victim died,” the police explained.On May 25 last, Ramlackhan was struck down while on the Vryheid’s Lust Railway Embankment Road, East Coast Demerara (ECD), by motorcar PRR 7815, which was allegedly being driven by the soldier. The severely injured man is said to hail from Lot 346 Martyrs Ville, Mon Repos, ECD.At the time of the accident, Ramlackhan was towing another friend who is reportedly from Sixth Street, Success, ECD. His friend suffered minor injuries.Reports are that on the day in question, the duo was riding along the roadway when they were hit off the bicycle by the vehicle being driven by the GDF rank, who was reportedly under the influence of alcohol.Ramlackhan was picked up and taken to the GPHC, where he was admitted a patient.A breathalyser test was conducted on the driver of the vehicle, and it was discovered that his alcohol intake was above the legal limit. Investigations into the matter continue.However, Commander Brutus had earlier this month explained that the soldier who was allegedly driving the car involved in the accident was released into the custody of the Army.“The Joint Services Protocol dictates that we hand him over to his superiors pending the advice of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP). With regards to Police having custody of Joint Services ranks, it is dependent on the category of crime. For instance, if it is murder or so, they will stay in our [GPF] custody. If it is a lesser category, we hand them over to their respective agency and they will take responsibility to bring them back whenever is needed; or if advice is to charge, they will make them available and bring them so.”last_img read more

Read More →

Chelsea tipped to offer in excess of £30m for Morocco star Benatia

first_imgChelsea are set to table a bid of just over £30m for Roma defender Mehdi Benatia, La Gazzetta Dello Sport claim.Manchester United have also been linked with the 27-year-old Morocco international, with reports suggesting he is potentially for sale.And the Blues have been tipped to offer €38m for Benatia, which Roma are said to be inclined to accept.Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho wants Benatia, it is claimedMeanwhile, QPR are close to completing a deal to sign Jonathan de Guzman from Villarreal, Spanish newspaper Marca has reported.The Netherlands midfielder, 26, has been on loan at Swansea for the last two seasons and they are keen to sign him permanently.But Rangers boss Harry Redknapp was alerted to his potential availability when it became apparent Swansea were struggling to agree a deal.Rangers are willing to pay £7m and Marca say Villarreal are ready to complete the transfer. Related West London Sport story (9 August): QPR ready to agree £7m De Guzman dealQPR have indicated they will pay £7m for De GuzmanAC Milan plan to offer QPR £3m for Adel Taarabt, Sky Sport Italia have reported.Taarabt ended last season on loan at the Italian club and is desperate to join them on a permanent basis.And it is claimed that Kia Joorabchian, who has advised QPR on various transfer deals and acts as Taarabt’s representative, is due to meet Milan chief executive Adriano Galliani on Tuesday to discuss a potential deal.Rangers manager Harry Redknapp, who sold Taarabt to the R’s when he was Tottenham boss, has indicated that the player is determined to move on.Taarabt’s future is uncertain following his return to Rangers.Spurs would be entitled to a significant share of any transfer fee under the terms of the deal that took Taarabt to Loftus Road in the summer of 2010. Related West London Sport story (11 August): No cut-price Taarabt deal, QPR boss insists Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

Read More →

How Kevin Durant is coping with Clifford Dixon’s passing

first_imgKlay Thompson subscribes. You can too for just 11 cents a day for 11 months + receive a free Warriors Championship book. Sign me up!OAKLAND — For once, Kevin Durant likes what he has seen people write about himself on his Twitter and Instagram accounts.For the past two weeks, the Warriors’ star has mourned the death of his childhood friend and former AAU teammate, Clifford Dixon. He was shot and killed outside of an Atlanta bar. Since then, Durant has received plenty of well wishes both in …last_img

Read More →

Proteins Can Tie Knots

first_imgYour job today is to invent a chain that can tie itself in a knot.  The chain can contain little magnets and electrical parts, but when you let go of the ends, a knot will spontaneously form.  This means that one end must form a loop and the other end must thread the loop.  Give up?  Maybe you should learn how cells do it.    There are certain chains of amino acids coming out of the ribosome translation machine that will tie a perfect trefoil knot (picture) every time.  This knot becomes embedded deep within the overall structure of the protein.  A trio of women scientists at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine tried to figure this out.  Writing in PNAS,1 they only made small progress.  All they could say was that the knot tying seems to occur early on, when the chain is loose.  The tightening of the knot and the rest of the folding occurs slowly thereafter.  They mutated certain amino acids to watch what happened but that’s about all they could figure out at this point.    The protein they studied, YibK, is one of the simplest knot-tying proteins.  They mentioned others with even bigger tricks:The alpha/beta-knot methyltransferases (MTases) are a family of homodimeric proteins that exhibit an unusual trefoil knot deep within in their native structure.  Such knots are particularly impressive because they are defined by the path of the polypeptide backbone alone and therefore require that a considerable segment of protein chain (at least 40 residues) has threaded through a loop.  The question of how such complex topologies arise during protein folding is an intriguing one, and is of growing importance with the increasing number and complexity of knotted structures observed.  In addition to trefoil knots, a highly intricate figure-of-eight knot and a knotted structure with 5 projected crossings have been observed.  Consequently, when contemplating how a given polypeptide chain might fold, the possibility that it might knot must also be considered; if a global solution to the protein-folding problem is to be found, the puzzle of how such knotted structures form must be solved.Evolutionary theory played no role in their investigation.1.  Anna L. Mallam, Elizabeth R. Morris, and Sophie E. Jackson, “Exploring knotting mechanisms in protein folding,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA, published online before print November 17, 2008, doi: 10.1073/pnas.0806697105.A protein that can tie a figure-of-eight knot (picture) blindfolded with no hands: amazing.  The Darwinians can’t even do that eyes-open with their baloney.(Visited 11 times, 1 visits today)FacebookTwitterPinterestSave分享0last_img read more

Read More →

Infrastructure master plan ‘on track’

first_img24 February 2012 The Presidential Infrastructure Coordinating Commission is making progress in drawing up South Africa’s infrastructure implementation master plan, which outlines the geographically-defined strategic projects announced earlier this month by President Jacob Zuma. The government is looking at spending R3.2-trillion in the next three years on over 40 major infrastructure projects. Cabinet spokesperson Jimmy Manyi told journalists on Thursday that the plan had been discussed during an ordinary Cabinet meeting in Cape Town this week.Geographically-defined strategic projects The geographically-defined strategic projects include a massive integrated rail, road and water infrastructure in Limpopo province, and improvement in the movement of goods between Durban, Free State and Gauteng. There are also moves to beef up the industrial and agricultural development and export capacity of the Eastern Cape and expand the province’s economic linkages with KwaZulu-Natal and the Northern Cape. In North West province, the plan highlights the need for the roll-out of water, roads, rail and electricity infrastructure, with 10 priority roads earmarked for upgrade. Improvements in the iron ore rail line between Sishen and Saldanha Bay in the Western Cape is expected to create a large number of jobs in the area.Rigorous feasibility assessments’ The National Treasury’s Budget Review for 2012/13, published on Wednesday, notes that not all of the R3.2-trillion projects under consideration will be approved for implementation. The government will choose the most cost-effective ones that offer optimal long-term benefits. “All public sector infrastructure projects will be subjected to rigorous assessment to determine their feasibility,” the Review states. The government is also of the view that the country’s public sector capacity to implement major projects is presently inadequate, and steps are being taken to strengthen planning and implementation capacity at all levels. In his Budget speech on Wednesday, Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan outlined a range of measures to boost planning and monitoring capacity in government departments and municipalities to ensure that they carry out major projects and allocate the necessary spending on them in an efficient way. Source: BuaNewslast_img read more

Read More →

The sky is not the limit for African astronaut Mandla Maseko

first_imgMaseko won the global Axe Apollo Space Academy competition for an hour long sub-orbital trip of 62 miles, or about 100 kilometres. Handpicked for the trip on the Lynx Mark II Spaceship, Maseko is one of only 23 civilians from around the world to win a seat on the space mission. He saw off a million other entrants to emerge victorious. (Image: Sthe Shabangu)It is an extraordinary dream come true. Like music to Mandla Maseko’s ears, this part-time DJ will blast off into space, literally. No-one in Maseko’s family has ever stepped outside South Africa, but now the 25-year-old is preparing to rocket into space in 2015.Maseko won the global Axe Apollo Space Academy competition for an hour long sub-orbital trip of 62 miles, or about 100 kilometres. Handpicked for the trip on the Lynx Mark II Spaceship, Maseko is one of only 23 civilians from around the world to win a seat on the space mission. He saw off a million other entrants to emerge victorious.last_img read more

Read More →

Modi’s ‘badbola’ remark triggers talk of wrinkle in saffron alliance

first_imgWhile the alliance between the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Shiv Sena appears to have been finalised, statements made by leaders of both parties — including Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s remark on the Ram temple on Thursday — have ignited speculation that all is not well in the partnership.The fact that Mr. Modi made no direct mention of the Sena in his rally in Nashik, but made a comment about a badbola (loudmouth) leader from Maharashtra who wouldn’t stop talking about the Ram temple, raised eyebrows. The only leader from Maharashtra who has recently been talking about the Ram temple and even visited Ayodhya is Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray. Both parties have also locked horns over the Metro car shed in Aarey colony. While Yuva Sena leader Aaditya Thackeray has opposed the proposed removal of trees for the car shed, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has termed the youth leader ‘misinformed.’ Moreover, Mr. Fadnavis recently also indicated that the government could reconsider the decision to scrap the oil refinery project at Nanar in Konkan, which was key to forging the BJP-Sena alliance before the Lok Sabha election. Sena leader and State Transport Minister Divakar Raote had on Wednesday demanded that the BJP and Sena contest an equal number of seats in the Assembly polls, failing which the alliance was unlikely. Sena’s Rajya Sabha MP Sanjay Raut supported the statement. In response, BJP leader Girish Mahajan said, “The alliance is bound to happen. Those who have no say in the seat-sharing talks must not comment on the issue.” Mr. Mahajan expressed confidence that issues in the seat-sharing arrangement will be resolved within two to three days. BJP president Amit Shah will be in Mumbai on Sunday to address a public rally on the abrogation of Article 370. According to sources, during his visit, the BJP is likely to take a final call on the alliance with Sena.last_img read more

Read More →

FIVB World Tour Boracay Open to test mettle of SEA Games aspirants

first_imgSports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES Two-day strike in Bicol fails to cripple transport Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles02:54BCDA bares plan to pilot driverless vehicles in SEA Games00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss View comments This will be the second time that the Philippines will host a one-star FIVB beach volleyball tournament after it held the Manila Open at SM Sands by the Bay in May 2018.A total of 20 pairs from the Philippines, Lithuania, Singapore, Australia, Malayasia, Slovenia, Israel, Thailand, Japan and Russia will compete in the women’s division while there will be 28 men’s teams.The three Filipino men’s teams will compete against pairs from Sweden, Frane, Australia, Japan, Oman, Austria, Malaysia, Russia, the Ukraine, Thailand, Singapore, Norway, and Chinese-Taipei.“This is a very good chance for our local players to really develop their level of play through the international arena because they are not just competing against Southeast Asian teams but they are also going to compete against global teams,” said Soriano.ADVERTISEMENT Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Photo by Bong Lozada/INQUIRER.netMANILA, Philippines—The potential Philippine representatives in the 2019 Southeast Asian Games are about to face premier competition in the next few days.Beach Volleyball Republic co-founder Charo Soriano said that the players who will play in the FIVB World Tour Boracay Open are also the ones who will represent the Philippines in the biennial regional games.ADVERTISEMENTcenter_img MOST READ Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting ‘Rebel attack’ no cause for concern-PNP, AFP Duterte wants probe of SEA Games mess The Philippines will field three men’s teams and five women’s pairs, led by the duo of Cherry Rondina and Bernadeth Pons, in the one-star tournament on May 23 to 26 at White House Beach Resort in Station 1 and will compete against groups from across Europe, Asia, and Australia.“This is for the Southeast Asian Games also and hopefully with the program, and everyone involved, we can create a long term development plan for beach volleyball,” said Soriano during the tournament’s press conference Sunday at The City Club.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logistics“The [Philippine players] are already training since last year after the Manila Open and they’ve been playing not just in the BVR but also in the PSL (Philippine Super Liga).”Soriano said that BVR had communicated with the country’s volleyball national sporting association Larong Volleybal ng Pilipinas, Inc., for the coaches in the SEA Games. Catholic schools seek legislated pay hike, too DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew Ray Parks on PBA debut: Blackwater win ‘most important thing’ last_img read more

Read More →